Wednesday, 10 May 2017 at 13:30
The Permanent Mission of Japan, the Permanent Mission of Kazakhstan and the VCDNP cordially invite you to attend a panel discussion entitled “CTBT as a Cornerstone of the NPT Regime,” which will be held on Wednesday, 10 May 2017, at 13:30 in the Conference Hall of the Permanent Mission of Japan. The panel discussion will be held in the margins of the Preparatory Committee for the 2020 Review Conference of the Parties to the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons (NPT).
* Refreshments and a buffet lunch, including sushi, will be served at 12:45. There will also be sake tasting.
The Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty (CTBT) constitutes one of the cornerstones of the NPT regime and a realistic step towards a world without nuclear weapons. The Treaty enjoys broad support among nuclear-weapon States and non-nuclear-weapon States, but after 20 years it is still not in force.
To promote the entry into force of the CTBT at the earliest opportunity, the panelists will provide their views on recent developments surrounding the CTBT and suggest strategic and innovative ways to advance its prospects for entry into force. The discussion will be moderated by Laura Rockwood, VCDNP Executive Director, and followed by a question and answer period.
- Ambassador Mitsuru Kitano, Permanent Representative of Japan and Co-Coordinator for facilitaing the entry into force of the CTBT
- Ambassador Kairat Sarybay, Permanent Representative of Kazakhstan and Co-Coordinator for facilitating the entry into force of the CTBT
- Mr. Li Genxin, Director of Legal and External Relations, CTBTO
- Ms. Angela Kane, Senior Fellow at the VCDNP, former UN High-Representative for Disarmament Affairs and GEM Member
- Lord Desmond Browne, GEM Member, Chair of the European Leadership Network, Vice Chairman of the Nuclear Threat Initiative, former Secretary of Defence of the UK
Important: We ask all guests to register using the link below. Please note that registration and possession of a valid ID is required for access to the Conference Hall.
Registration and Questions
We kindly ask you to RSVP using the online registration form.
Should you have any questions, please direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org or call VCDNP at +43-1-236-94-82. In case you have troubles accessing the online registration form, please register via email to email@example.com.
Parking Advisory: There are no parking opportunities in Andromeda Tower and parking nearby is difficult. We encourage you to use public transportation. U1 “VIC” station is about 200 meters away from our office.