Areas of Research
- IAEA safeguards
- Nuclear non-proliferation
- Disarmament verification
- Education and training in nuclear non-proliferation and IAEA safeguards
Laura Rockwood was appointed as Executive Director of the VCDNP as of 1 June 2015. She was most recently a Senior Research Fellow at Harvard University’s Kennedy School Belfer Center Managing the Atom Project. Ms. Rockwood retired in November 2013 from the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) as the Section Head for Non-Proliferation and Policy Making in the Office of Legal Affairs, where she had served since 1985. Prior to working for the IAEA she was employed by the US Department of Energy as a trial attorney in radiation injury cases, and as counsel in general legal matters.
Laura Rockwood received a Juris Doctor degree in 1976 from the University of California’s Hastings College of Law, San Francisco, and a Bachelor of Arts degree in 1973 from the University of California, Berkeley. She is a member of the State Bar of California and of the Washington DC Bar Association.
- “IAEA Verification of Fissile Material in Support of Nuclear Disarmament,” co-authored with Thomas E. Shea, Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs, April 27, 2015: (http://belfercenter.hks.harvard.edu/ publication/25288/iaea_verification_of_fissile_material _in_support_of_nuclear_disarmament.html)
- The IAEA’s State-Level Concept and the Law of Unintended Consequences, Arms Control Today, Vol. September 2014 (http://www.armscontrol.org/ act/2014_09/Features/ The-IAEAs-State-Level-Concept-and- the-Law-of-Unintended-Consequences)
- The Legal Framework for IAEA Safeguards: An Introduction to IAEA Safeguards, 2010 IAEA Safeguards Symposium (http://ola.iaea.org/ola/documents/Pub1608_web-final.pdf)
- Foundations of International Safeguards, 2006: “Legal Foundations of IAEA Safeguards: Discussions with Laura Rockwood on INFCIRCs/153 and 540” – a 4 DVD set of oral histories on nuclear non proliferation and safeguards (http://pnwcgs.pnl.gov/fois/default.stm)
- Safeguards and Non-Proliferation: The First Half-Century from a Legal Perspective, Journal of Nuclear Materials Management, Summer 2007, Vol. XXXV, No.4.
- The Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons and the IAEA Safeguards Agreements, in Making Treaties Work: Human Rights, Environment and Arms Control, Cambridge University Press (2007)