Invitation to Apply for Participation
The Vienna Center for Disarmament and Non-Proliferation (VCDNP) and the James Martin Center for Nonproliferation Studies (CNS) at the Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey will offer an intensive course for diplomats and other practitioners on nuclear non-proliferation and disarmament policy issues. The course will take place in Vienna, Austria, on 19 to 23 March 2018.
Taught by faculty and experts from the VCDNP and CNS, as well as other international professionals, the one-week program will include:
- an extended analysis of the non-proliferation regime;
- an overview of the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons and its associated institutions and mechanisms; and
- an assessment of current challenges to nuclear non-proliferation, arms control, disarmament and nuclear security.
The language of instruction is English; therefore, good English language skills are essential for successful completion of the course.
“The course was intensive but very well structured, covering the important aspects of disarmament and non proliferation. Very good for putting order into an extensive and complicated topic.”
“As a new diplomat in Vienna, this course is one of the best in non proliferation.”
“The right topics, the right place, the right teachers.”—Reviews from previous course participants
The tuition fee for the course is 800 Euros. The organizers are in a position to waive the tuition fee for participants from developing countries, and in some other cases if requested. A small number of stipends to cover airfare and/or accommodation may be provided to select applicants from developing countries traveling from their national capitals or other duty stations.
The deadline for applications is 29 January 2018, but parties are encouraged to apply as early as possible. Applications should be submitted in English and include:
(1) An endorsement/nomination letter from the applicant’s Mission, Embassy, Ministry of Foreign Affairs or other relevant organization;
(2) A curriculum vitae of the applicant;
(3) A letter of interest; and
(4) A request for tuition waiver and/or travel support (if relevant).
Application materials can be submitted via email to email@example.com or mailed to VCDNP, Donau City Strasse 6, Andromeda Tower, Floor 13/1, 1220 Vienna, Austria. Selections will be finalized by 5 February 2018, and applicants informed thereafter.
All inquiries about the course should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.